Friday, June 05, 2009

Not My Favorite, But...

I can't say that our current bull is my favorite Dexter bull, or even close to that. He has give us plenty of frustration with his desire to get out and roam around and he isn't exactly as cuddly (not that you should ever cuddle a bull) as some Dexter bulls that I've bet. But, with all that being said he does have a few redeeming qualities that I don't hate.

He seems to have fleshed out nicely on the spring grass so far (at least comparatively speaking) and it also seems like he is a guy that will get his job done. One other thing is that he is a little smaller in size so I'm hoping he will bring us a couple smaller calves from our two bigger cows. Our big cows hardly even seem like Dexters when you compare them to the others in the herd!

All that being said, I'm still on the hunt for a herd bull that fits us perfectly and will continually improve our herd. We have an uphill battle to get the herd to where I would like it, but this is an okay start.

2 comments:

Yeoman said...

I had one once that just liked to hang out by the highway and look photogenic.

Man, it was aggravating. That's all he would do. He wasn't interested in cows. He was a good looking bull, and apparently knew it, deciding that he wanted to be where his beauty could be admired.

Rich said...

Isn't the calf you wrote about a few days ago and a heifer included with the original package deal out of this bull?

How close are they to your 'ideal' herd?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...