Friday, June 26, 2009

Heat and Humidity...

The past couple of weeks have been pretty oppressive here in Southern Iowa. There has been next to no breeze, plenty of heat, lots of thunder showers, and buckets of humidity. There have been more than a few days where you walked out and immediately started sweating like you had just run a marathon in the desert! And to think ... it isn't even July yet. But, we have been making it through the heat by taking some precautions and being careful.
  • Of course I have been making sure to drink plenty of water. All those years in Boy Scouts are really starting to pay off and I know that it is important to not only drink water while you are working, but also before hand to help keep yourself hydrated. Also, ice cold water isn't alway the best...
  • The livestock need plenty of clean water as well, so we have been constantly refilling their waterers and making sure the water they have is clean. Usually I have to spray out a waterer once a day, but the livestock really need that clean fresh water.
  • Breaks have also become a big part of the work. In cooler weather I just like to go and go because I usually have a limited time to do stuff, but in the oppressive heat and humidity that we have had it is important to take some time and rest.
  • Another way I combat the sweltering summer is to put on my Amish hat (cheap and readily available). It isn't very stylish, but it is straw so my head can breathe a little and the shade that it provides to my face, ears, and neck will be appreciated for years to come (no skin cancer please).
I'm not sure how all of you in the hot and humid south deal with this all the time, but I would love to hear your tricks and tips!

7 comments:

Rich said...

It isn't hot and humid here in OK, it is HOT and DRY. It has been over 100 every day for over a week and it is supposed to cool down to the 90's this weekend (you would be surprised how cool 90 degrees can feel after weeks of 100 degree temperatures). I think the dry part is harder on a person than the hot part, it seems to dehydrate you in a different way.

I don't know any tips to dealing with the heat besides going outside and getting used to it. Eventually you get to the point where you can tolerate the heat.

Sunscreen can help with the sunburn, but I always seem to get 'wind burned' when it is dry and the wind is blowing.

Yeoman said...

I'm glad you have on your broad brimmed hat. They're a life saver, literally. It'll help protect you from the heat now, and from cancer later.

I'll blather about that later, but I'll note that out here, in the much more arid region, I wear a felt hat in the summer. A heavy beaver felt one. I do have a straw one, but I rarely wear it. I wouldn't be caught out and about without it. Contrary to general assumption, they're not uncomfortable even in fairly high heat.

Art Blomquist said...

It's 41f here and I am wearing an insulated cap. Send some of that heat my way..

Partyhouse 4 God said...

Hello, I am Shelli Wilson, the one you met at the Dexter auction. I hope to see you around!

Partyhouse 4 God said...

Hello, I am Shelli Wilson, the one you met at the Dexter auction. I hope to see you around!

Cyndi Lewis said...

Gotta get me a good gardening hat. I was out weeding the garden yesterday in mid- 80's weather and rather high humidity. Hot! I think my kids spent more time at the hose then in the garden. It's too bad that today is supposed to be cooler and drier- I don't generally work in the garden on Sundays. Glad to find your blog and your wife's blog.

Randy said...

In Central Florida, we do what Rich said: we just get used to it. Of course, we have all of "spring" to get ready for summer. From about March until Mid-May it gradually warms from a high is about 55F to 85F, but from Mid-May through Mid-September its generally brutually humid, which amplifies the 90-95F temperature significantly since your sweat doesn't evaporate like it should.

You tend to find your self hunting shade as often as possible. Also, that's the reason that southerners talk the way they do, they don't want to get all stirred up, hot and bothered, like those weird, wild, and frantic New Englanders who've been invading since Reconstruction.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...