Wednesday, June 03, 2009

New Grass, An Expecting Sow, and Little Calf

Soccer came to an end last night, but things don't look like they will be slowing down anytime soon. In fact I expect things will get even busier this summer as we tackle all the projects that need to be done and continue with our daily chores. As you can see from the picture on the right (you can click on the image to make it larger) the dexter herd is out in new grass and enjoying it. Although, the still like to come up to the short stuff and hang out in the cool of the morning it seems.

One thing about the tall grass is that it is nearly impossible to find a itty-bitty dexter calf that isn't even knee high! Last night I spent about 30 minutes looking for him in the dark and finally found him about 10 yards on the other side of the fence just sleeping away in some bushes. This morning I couldn't find him either and was sure that he was outside the fence again so I started wandering around and looking. I didn't find him until I almost stepped on him!

And finally, here is a picture of our Hereford sow that looks like she is about ready to burst. She is due to farrow on June 6th so we are keeping a close eye on her. The good thing is that it isn't hard to keep track of her because she only comes out of the hut a few times a day for water and food. I really can't wait to see some little red Herefords bouncing around the farm!

Sorry for the late update, but now that soccer is done I should be able to get back on my normal schedule...

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...