Saturday, October 04, 2008

A Follow Up to Yesterday's Post...

Yesterday I wrote about the $313 crop base payment that we were going to receive. Politics, subsidies, and current farm policy aside it really is money that we weren't planning on getting. In fact when I went in to sign-up the women at the counter actually said something along the lines of, "it's not a lot of money, but its nice to get something without having to do anything". Of course that isn't an entirely true statement because people are giving something to receive this payment...

Well, to be completely honest it is money that we weren't expecting to get and I'm not entirely sure how I feel about the whole subsidy thing. All of those things were churning through my mind lately and it seems they were running through my wife's mind as well because we have kind of come to the same conclusion.

If this is money we weren't expecting to get why don't we take the opportunity to give instead of just buying something for ourselves or for our farm. It might seem like a little out of the box, but we like the idea! I'm not completely sure what we will come up with, but since we are involved in this farming thing my vote is to buy some animals for people through Gospel for Asia.

**I should mention that I'm not advocating that everyone does this with their subsidies, that is up to every ones own viewpoint ... this is just something cool we could do because ours really isn't that much

6 comments:

Patti said...

I love GFA!!! You can make a difference in someone's life even if you have just a lil bit to give. $3 will buy bibles to give out. What a wonderful thing to do whit your unexpected money!!

Steven said...

I love it Ethan!
What better way to use this money that is supposed to support farming than to support farming in an area where it can mean life or death for someone.

Anonymous said...

i think it should be spent in your own country help someone out in the usa before someone on foreign soil.

mhcs said...

Yeah... 'cause people in Bangladesh are used to starving, so it doesn't really matter as much as those less fortunate of our own country who have to eat hamburger instead of steak.

That was dreadfully snotty of me. But it's really not in the best taste to criticize somebody else's efforts to do something worthwhile without offering a good alternative outlet... or even your name.

Steven said...

I agree Mellifera.

Ferreh Hiatt said...

I just discovered your blog, and I think this idea is FABULOUS! Our farm also recieves small subsidy checks, and I have looked into the Heifer Project before, but I never thought about putting the two together!! Brilliant - I will be doing this in the future!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...