Thursday, May 14, 2009

Giving Local a New Meaning...

Even though I'm not writing for the Epi-Log I still love to check in and comment when there is something there that really piques my interest. Such a post popped up yesterday from James Oliver Curry. He wrote about a recent New York Times article that outlined a new emphasis by Hunt's and Lays Chips on the local ingredients they are using in some of their products. This quote from Mr. Curry's post sums up the idea:
"The New York Times today ran an article about how the folks behind Lay's potato chips (Frito-Lay is owned by PepsiCo) and Hunt's canned tomatoes (ConAgra) are placing the spotlight on the local people and communities involved in making their products (carefully worded not to say "locally grown"). Yes, some potato farmers in Florida supply the ingredients for the chips that are made in Florida. But does that count? Local to the manufacturing plant? Local to Floridians? Am I a locavore if I eat a Lay's potato chip in New York? That's stretching it."
This particular post hasn't drawn a ton of comments just yet, but I would be interested to hear what your thoughts on the subject are. On one hand I can understand the comment that says that it is good that they are at least building the local economy by using things from local farms and employing locals at their plants. But, there is also a strong point with the other side that says calling something like a potato chip local may be a bit of a stretch.

To me the big question is what is the motivation. Are these companies trying to jump on the "localvore" bandwagon just like large corporations jumped on the "organic" bandwagon recently, or are they just trying to highlight the fact that they have American employees?

4 comments:

Art Blomquist said...

I vote for "jumping on the localvore bandwagon". The good news is that the success of the localvore movement makes this possible. The downside is that it could get subverted. I.E. Any breakfast cereal, or yogurt, or.. that proclaims itself good for you, probably isn't.

BG Roberts said...

I'd have to vote for jumping on the bandwagon. It's something that we, the consumers, have to watch when reading advertising and such. The "spin" isn't always the whole picture... like the breakfast cereals, the new sodas, etc. While it's good to see the manufacturers are listening to the consumer, as in removing high fructose corn syrup from some soft drinks, etc., that in itself doesn't make things "healthy". I believe that whenever possible, buy food from producers who's hands you can shake.
~BG

Anonymous said...

As quickly as big ag and big food jump on the words people who want/grow real food use to describe such food, we should change the words and keep them jumping. I think the latest word/concept is 'transparent' which will be difficult for them to actually do since they know most of their production practices can't see the light of day and survive. I anticipate these companies setting up (or acquiring, as we've seen) smaller, clean/transparent operations to 'showcase' to the public and press as representative of the way they do things, all the while their real 'farms' are operating as they currently are. The other option would be for them to clean up their acts and produce food correctly, but I won't hold my breath for that.

Jena said...

Lays has a sign like this in our area. I have mixed feelings about. We know a lot of potato growers that do work with Frito-Lay. However, I personally buy Made Rite or Better Made brand chips that are made right here in Michigan. I prefer to be as local as possible but every little bit does help.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...