Friday, April 02, 2010

Running...

This has been one of those weeks where I just feel like I have been running, but not accomplishing very much. It has been go ... go ... go, but not a lot of huge visible results. I guess there will be weeks like that though.

One thing that I did find today was this dandelion (it's not a weed) pictured above. It's the first one that I've seen this year and it was nice to see something so bright and beautiful on a cloudy day. It did get me thinking about dandelions as a forage though ... here is an article I found online. The nice thing about dandelions compared to the other forages I'm going to plant this spring ... I don't have to purchase seed for them and I'm sure they will eventually show up!

Here is a tidbit from the article by Christoph E. Weder Ph.D.:
"Well what does it all add up to? What is the impact of dandelions on a forage stand? For four consecutive years, the same researchers from the University of Wisconsin studied the effects of dandelions in cut hay. Their findings were interesting. First, dandelions did not normally decrease the total biomass of the forage stand. In fact under well managed pastures they added to the biomass. As for feed quality, they found that dandelions had protein values many times in excess of 18%. The only downfall was that they had higher moisture contents than other species in the stand and could affect dry down in haying situations."

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi! I've been following your blog for a little while, but haven't left a comment until now...sorry :-(

I was excited to see your post on dandelions because I just posted a link to this article:
http://www.keeperofthehome.org/2010/04/a-year-of-herbs-dandelions.html

This blogger tells of the great nutritional and medicinal benefits of the dandelion for humans! You might have to fight the cattle for it, lol.

I've also linked to you on my sidebar, under Like-Minded Farm Folk, although I'm still a farmer-wannable ~smile~.

The Lord has blessed you and your family in allowing you the desires of your heart. I enjoy reading of your adventure!

Teresa said...

Makes me feel better that I don't try to get rid of the dandelions in my yard or pasture. The first dandelion of the year always brings back all the fun my sister and I had with them when we were young. I'll never forget the bracelets made from dandelion stems.

The only weed I truly would love to get rid of is stinking chamomile--horrible nasty thing that the goats don't even like to eat.

Walter Jeffries said...

Interesting about the Dandylion protein content. I was just thinking last week that they might be a good species to plant in our new fields and wondered about this.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...