Monday, April 12, 2010

Crooked Gap :: A Heritage Farm

For the past few months (and probably longer) I've been fighting with the idea of a new farm name. I Absolutely loved the Stoneyfield name, but there was just too much confusion from a name recognition standpoint, so a new name was needed. The problem was finding just the right name that I loved. Eventually I realized that I just had to go with something and stick with it! So, after months of thinking and trying on several different names for size it's settled. The new farm name is ...

... Crooked Gap ...

As you can see from the logo we've also added a new tagline ("A Heritage Farm") that fits well with the farm and the values of the farm. There is just so much to love about the heritage breeds because they were livestock breeds that were developed to thrive in low input situations and pass on hardy genetics to their offspring. With that in mind I'm particularly focusing on the the older breeds that fit well into the this farms system of management. Plus ... it gives me a good excuse to focus in on my love of history.

You may be wondering about the name though ... Simply put, the farm is just off of what is locally called "the crooked road to Melcher," so I thought it would be a fitting name for a farm. And the "Gap" portion of the name helps tie everything back to history. You may have heard of some of the famous "gaps" that played an important part in our nations growth and expansion. One of those famous "gaps" is Cumberland Gap which was the main highway for settlement west of the Appalachian Mountains.

All of that local lingo and those historical connections led to Crooked Gap. On top of all that though is the fact that I just like the name. I think it's unique and fun and fitting! Plus, I don't think we'll be having to do a name change anytime soon ;)

5 comments:

Captain's Wife - Jennifer said...

I love the new name!!! :)

Mama Podkayne said...

I love the new name but the tagline has some technical problems. In Iowa, Heritage farm is a designation given to a farm owned and operated by the same family for 150+ years. It is the next progression from Century farm and is a great honor. If I recall, you've only owned yours for a couple years?

http://www.agriculture.state.ia.us/heritageFarmsProgram.asp

Teresa said...

I love the name Crooked Gap.

Rich said...

In my mind's eye, from the descriptions and pictures of your farm, Crooked Gap Farm seems more fitting and descriptive than Stoneyfield.

Combined with the way the name rolls of the tongue, it would be pretty appealing to customers to drive up to the farm and see some sort of traditional Iowa fence around the homestead (such as the typical woven wire and wooden post fence that grandpa's farm had), a nice sign at the end of the driveway announcing that they have arrived at Crooked Gap Farm, and something like an eggmobile down in the pasture with Crooked Gap Farm prominently painted on the side.

Anonymous said...

I love the name and the logo, it's awesome! Did you design it yourself? It looks very professional.
Michelle

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...