Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Big Blue is Here...


This morning I received a call that they would be delivering our new Ford 5000 tractor and this afternoon it showed up ... ready to work! Of course I had to take the obligatory, "New (to me) Tractor and Proud Owner Wearing Dealer's Ball Cap" picture as you can see above. After that I shut it down and let the kids take a turn at the wheel pretending to drive. Once all of that was out of the way I just drove around a little trying to get used to everything and hooked up a few implements to the three-point hitch just for kicks. Before the night was over I put the loader bucket to good use and cleaned out a stall that we had set up in the storage side of our house for a calf that we wanted to keep a closer eye on. So far, so good.

Here are some of the details of our new tractor (if you are interested in this type of thing). This particular Ford 5000 was made in 1967 (I believe) and is an 8-speed diesel tractor with around a 60 h.p. engine. It has the loader as you can see and the three-point hitch which will come in handy around the farm with a few implements and my new three-point carry all (machinery auction this morning). Other than those details, I just know what I read about this particular Ford model and try to learn as much as I can.

Also, as I mentioned in my "Tractor Shopping" post, this tractor has recently had an engine overhaul. This was a big selling point in my book because of the lack of mechanical abilities that I have. That overhaul included: a new crankshaft, 2 rods, 4 ring sets, various new bearings, new gaskets, a new clutch, a couple new hydraulic fittings, new hoses, new filters, and a few odds and ends. On top of that they did a once over and fixed a couple things at the dealer.

My hope and prayer is that all of this adds up to a tractor without MAJOR problems. I completely understand that there will always be something on a tractor of this vintage, but if we can stay away for the biggies I will be a happy camper. If not ... I'm buying a horse and buggy and selling all the vehicles :)

3 comments:

GreenRanchingMom said...

YEAH!! We love our Fords! We have a Ford 8000. I think from the same dealer, and have had great luck with it!

Rich said...

Diesel engines are the way to go in tractors, they are relatively simple, usually reliable, and use much less fuel than gasoline engines, but they do have their idiosyncrasies.

The best advice I can give about diesel engines is to never under any circumstances run out of fuel, but since you eventually will run out of fuel (despite always following the first rule) make sure you know the procedure for your particular tractor for priming the injector pump and bleeding the lines before you run out of fuel.

If and when you run out of fuel, it always seems like it happens at the worst possible time, so be prepared.

Mike W. said...

Ethan, Congratulations on your new tractor!

If I had known you were going to at Belzer Equipment during their open house, I would have tried to stop by and meet you. I do drive through Knoxville several times a week. Perhaps I can stop by some evening?

Anyhow, I look forward to the day when I can get my first tractor.

Mike

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...