Monday, October 22, 2007

Going to the Farm

Every once in a while (not nearly often enough) we have a chance to head down to the farm for a day. We make sure the chickens have feed and water, load up the family, and load up Sophie and head down for a day of work, relaxation, and fun. I love to be outside working at the farm because it is such a difference from my normal day. And, I guess I just plain enjoy hard work. When I was in jr. high, high school, and college I detasseled corn. It was hard, hot, muddy work but I absolutely loved it. Plus the pay was good. Also, in high school when others were enjoying a hot summer day at the lake or the pool I was putting hay up in the barn for the Mochel family. I just enjoyed the hard work ... period!

So, as we make plans to head down today (mostly to take my brother and sister home and show of our Dexters to the in-laws) I'm making a list of the things I would like to do in our short trip. Here is my list ...

  • Take down Shaklee Basic H to worm cattle

  • Set up new electric fence paddock for the cattle

  • Build covered mineral feeder to feed kelp mineral and salt

  • Discuss winter wind break for cattle with Dad

  • Pick up materials or pick out materials for winter chicken shed


I'll try and get as much done as possible, but there is never enough time when I am down there. Regardless of what I get done I know that I will have a great day and I'm really looking forward to it. Hopefully I'll have an update for you tomorrow, and maybe even some new pictures.

3 comments:

Robbyn said...

I didnt know Shaklee had animal products you could worm cattle with..how interesting!

Really enjoying reading your blog and your wife's :)

Ethan Book said...

Well, to tell the truth ... they don't "sell" animal products. Basic H is what I use. It is just their main soap brand. Farmers across the country use it in their cattle water to "worm" them. There is no science to back it up, but there is ancedotal evidence ... so we are giving it a try!

Anonymous said...

Shaklee is a great company, they really do their homework. If you're looking to purchase Basic H2 online, check out http://www.veryhealthylife.com/healthy_home.html

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...