Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Mud and Farrowing Fun ...

It has been unseasonably warm lately. The kind of warm that has me thinking about spring and green grass, but I'm trying to keep myself grounded and remember that it is still the middle of February. Obviously the frost hasn't left the ground yet, but the top couple of inches are thawing and making everything nice and muddy ... which I'm not going to complain about! The warm weather though came at just the perfect time though because yesterday my second Tamworth sow farrowed in the lean-to off the back of the shed. You can check out my Twitter feed to see the new picture.

This sow was the last of the group of four I purchased a few weeks ago and so far so good with her. Well I guess I should say ... so far so okay. She, like the others, would not farrow in the huts and I'm a little disappointed that the instinct of building a nest in them did not come out like I've experienced with some of my other sows (the Hereford and the crosses). She did only lose one so far (it was dead when I found it) and after a few hours I was able to get her calmed down and in the hut with her pigs. I checked her throughout the night and then again this morning and the only problem was that one little pig had found its way out. I nailed a board up on the door hoping to keep them in, but I did that last night as well and the sow wouldn't go in ... I'm hoping that her spending the night in the hut will take care of that problem.

It's during these farrowing times and other times like this that I realize just how much I have to learn! Don't get me wrong, I do feel like I've come a long way, but there are plenty of times when I feel like things aren't going well and I don't know what I'm doing! You just have to keep your chin up and keep pressing on though ...

1 comment:

Rivenfae said...

The problem might be that the sows were raised in conditions that weren't like you have provided so she(them) don't like it. It might be taught out of them though.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...