Thursday, April 09, 2009

R-CALF and the NAIS

I can't say that I know much about R-CALF (which stands for, "Ranchers-Cattlemen Action Legal Fund"), but while looking for something else on the "Big Show" website I ran across a post that said that they were offering an alternative to the NAIS legislation to Agriculture Secretary Vilsack. Of course this piqued my interest because the thought of an alternative (especially if it is a good alternative) is something that I can get on board with. Of course I haven't had time to scrutinize everything yet, but I will provide some links for your perusal.
  • Here is the official R-CALF website. You will find lots of information on this site, including their "About" section.
  • This is a link to the .pdf of their "Eight Point Alternative to NAIS". On the surface it appears to add power to current rules and regulations instead of trying to fix a system by adding another completely confusing system on top of it. If that is the case then I could get on board.
  • Any good organization will have a FAQ section. You can check out the R-CALF FAQ at this link ... it says they have 12,000 members nationwide, not to bad for only 11 years of existance.
  • And finally, this link will take you to a page of various media from and about R-CALF and their doings. It looks like there are some interesting articles to check out if you scroll down a bit.
Like I said, I would love to hear your thoughts on their alternative to the NAIS. Is this a step in the right direction?

1 comment:

GreenRanchingMom said...

We are R-CALF members, for several reasons.

1- Unlike the NCBA, they support Cow-Calf producers totally. They do not promote legislation that will benefit Packers.

2- They have stalled and helped clean up the original NAIS legislation.

3- When deciding which topics to pursue, they do so by a MEMBER voted ballot. Not, by the national board (like the NCBA).

I would encourage EVERY Small cattleman to investigate the ideals that R-CALF was founded upon, and if you agree with most of them, please become a member.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...