Friday, April 10, 2009

It's More than Farming...


"Business success or not, Warren pledges to fight to the very end. This, he says, is more than about one individual's business. It's about the individual farmer's right to obtain a better price for a better product. The battle, Warren asserts, is about everything from the future of American liberty and justice, to the health and well being of its people. "This isn't about what we're doing now," he emphasizes. "It's about where we're going. It's about providing better milk and a better future for our children."
The above quote comes from the cover story on the April Issue of "Graze". The article is titled, "Bringing Back That Old-Time Milk Flavor" and tells the story of Warren Taylor and his Snowville Creamery that produces grass-fed milk. Mr. Taylor's plan is an ambitious on that included a brand new milk processing facility and a commitment to what he calls, "Same Day Dairy". Things are off and running now and even though they have not met their sales goals yet you can see from the above quote that he is still serious about the idea.

What this article (and the above quote in particular) really made me think about though is what is our purpose behind what we do. Do we do things because we honestly believe in them and the goals and methods behind them, or do we just do things because that is the way that they are done in our society and we want to keep up with society?

That is a big question in all of my life at the moment and I think it is completely applicable to our farming ventures. Why have I decided to raise grass-fed beef? Why do I want to raise pigs on pasture and farrow in huts and larger pens? What is the point behind all of this direct marketing if I could just go through the markets that are already there?

There are many answers to those questions, but I think Mr. Taylor answers them pretty well in the quote above. It is about my values and goals. And, it is also about the belief that I can be paid a competitive price for the work I do on the farm. But, the main thing I want to remember as we work towards our farming goals is that it is not about me. If it was ... well, then I don't think I should be doing it.

4 comments:

Art Blomquist said...

How about something as simple as " do it because it's the right thing to do"?

If we don't start making more inroads in producing local food, were just buying into the Soylent Greening of our food supply.

Lynda W said...

Best milk ever!! We live close to Snowville Creamry. Our family will not buy any other milk. Big Ag needs to stay out of small farms.

Jamie- Concord Meadows Farm said...

Great Product! This is also our local Dairy. We need to work together to help our neighbors and ourselves survive.

Silence said...

Thank you for posting this, I live in West Harrison, Indiana just outside of Cincinnati and this is now going to be on our shopping list.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...