Monday, February 09, 2009

Things on the Way Out...

I don't have much time today, but thanks to a blog that I follow quite a bit (Take Your Vitamin Z) I have a neat little link for you ... "24 Things About to Disappear in America"
Here is the most interesting thing that they say is on the way out,
1. The Family Farm
Since the 1930s, the number of family farms has been declining
rapidly. According to the USDA, 5.3 million farms dotted the nation in
1950, but this number had declined to 2.1 million by the 2003 farm
census (data from the 2007 census hasn't yet been published).
Ninety-one percent of the U.S. farms are small family farms.
There are still a lot of family farms percentage wise, they are just bigger. At least that is what I get out of this. One other thing though ... I think they just released the census data. I may even have a link if I dig around.

3 comments:

Rich said...

There is a USDA publication that details some of the statistics of farms available at:

http://www.ers.usda.gov/publications/EIB12/EIB12c.pdf?

farm mama said...

An article in our local paper a few days ago said that the number of farms in South Carolina has increased, but the average acreage of each farm has decreased. This would indicate to me that it is smaller, probably family, farms. Exciting trend!

Yeoman said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...