Saturday, February 07, 2009

Corn...


I'm not going to say that I know a lot about High Fructose Corn Syrup (HFCS), but I will state the facts that I know… It is made from corn … Okay, I guess I really only know one thing about if for sure. But, I have read about it in the past and it was mentioned in the movie "King Corn" as one of those things that have helped lead to the spread of diabetes in the U.S. At least that is what some believe.

Yesterday, thanks to the great members of Practical Farmers of Iowa, I saw a short YouTube clip that takes a shot at HFCS and their recent attempts at boosting their public image. If you have a T.V. (which I don't) you may have seen commercials (I hadn't) from Corn Refiners Association promoting the good things about HFCS, especially when used in moderation.

Our good friends from "King Corn", and I say that with truth since I have had a chance to meet Aaron Wolff, decided to make a spoof of the Corn Refiners Association commercials. I think they did a pretty good job and the commercial is pretty funny. It also gets a point across.

I will say this about HFCS… Like I said, I don't really know anything about it, but that doesn't stop me from believing others who do know more about it and it's ill effects. That being said, if the Corn Refiners Association says that it is just fine for you in moderation I wonder how it is for you in excess. And, if it is bad for you in excess then this is all I have to say…

High Fructose Corn Syrup is really hard to get away from! So, unless you are looking out for it and keeping in mind how much you are taking in… Well, like I said … I don't know much about it.

1 comment:

Bob said...

The sad fact about their spoof is that despite all the scientific research done in the past forty years on the negative health effects of DDT on both people and the environment, the U.N. is now pushing the use of DDT again in Africa to combat malaria and other insect-born diseases. We outlaw the use of a pesticide in the United States due to known negative health effects, and yet we tell those less fortunate than us that it's perfectly all right to use in and around their homes. While I appreciate the comedic intent of the King Corn people, it just brings to mind how selectively we choose to use "science" when it comes to other people.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...