Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Dirty Coveralls

The other day as I was throwing on my coveralls and boots in the mud room I became acutely aware of just how dirty, smelly, and blown out those poor coveralls were. That of course makes perfect sense because I wear them every day throughout the winter and I put them through a lot of abuse and of course they never fail to snag on any little sharp edge that I cross paths with. But, the reason that it really hit home with me is because it wasn't that long ago that I was at my uncle's plow day and he and my cousin were commenting on just how clean and nice looking my coveralls were ... they looked like I didn't even do any work (and to be fair to them the only thing I used them for at the time was shoveling snow).

But now ... well now they are just pretty nasty and worn and ... and ... and I love them! I love the fact that I have dirty, smelly, and blown out coveralls. I love the fact that I haven't taken the time to wash them yet this winter (in hindsight I should probably make time) because they are just such an important part of my "winter on the farm" arsenal. These coveralls have protected me from the cold and wind on the bitter winter days, they've protected my "good clothes" from the mud and yuck and other farm related goop, they've provided they perfect place to wipe my dirty goods, and they have become a visible reminder of what I'm doing.

It amazes me that such a little comment about the lack of dirt and wear on my coveralls is a comment that would stick with me, but if I'm honest with myself it amazes me even more that they are dirty, smelly, and blown out. Five years ago if you would have painted me a picture of the farm that is now a part of me I would have never believed it. I would have wanted it, but I would have never believed it! Despite all of the limiting factors (see yesterday's post) and the things that continually get me down and make me feel defeated on the farm I know that I've come a long ways and that I'm making progress.

I think that is what makes things so difficult. The fact that I've made progress and I'm seeing things come together (in there very slow way) makes me see and believe that the farm is possible. At the same time though the changing landscape of my life sometimes has me doubting the possibility of moving the farm to another level. If nothing else though I now have some dirty, smelly, and blown out coveralls ... and a stack of worn out mud boots ...

**That's my philosophical and introspective post for the week ;) Check back tomorrow and I'll try to be a bit more normal **

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Ha! I have had this same conversation with my wire recently. To parapharase: Wife: "You should get some new coveralls - those are all torn and gross" Me: "What! It took me years to get them to look like this- I would have to start all over!" Every blood/grease/mud/etc stain and tear tells a story.

Rae said...

Well worn coveralls or work jeans are a wonderful thing. Sounds funny, but a well loved pair is something to make you feel proud of all you've accomplished while wearing them. You know they're really dirty when you have to hose them off outside before you can toss them in the washer! :)

Dickie said...

I have had me some old work pants and overalls for many years now, I like it when I have to add the odd patch just to keep them together it only adds to the authentic-ness of the work that's gone into them. I recently got new coveralls and found myself intentionally trying to get them up to speed with the old faithfuls. "They will be dirty" One day.

Niels said...

I agree completely, sometimes I cheat a bit by buying well worn overalls in thrift stores, but the best is to wear them out yourself and make your own patches, they are becoming a part of you !

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...