Wednesday, February 02, 2011

2011 INCA Conference

The Iowa Network for Community Agriculture (INCA) is an organization that honestly I didn't know much about until recently. But, it is an organization that I should know more about ... especially after I realized that three of the members on the leadership are (somewhat) neighbors or people that I have had a chance to meet quite a few times. After bumping around their website a little I think it sounds like a pretty cool organization with goals and values that are very similar to mine. I encourage you to check out their website and see what they are all about (even if you're not from Iowa).

But, the real reason I'm brining up INCA today is because on Saturday, March 5th I'll have the opportunity to share at one of their afternoon workshops. The workshop that I will be a part of (along with an organic grain/meat goat farmer) will be about marketing and the various venues that you can seek out to market your products. I'm always excited about opportunities like this because I love to talk about the farm, but more importantly because I always seem to learn so much through the connections that I make at these events.

All to often I find myself isolating myself from others that can help me shape my vision and goals for the farm and it takes things like this for me to break out of my shell and get plugged in. If you're farming now (or interested in farming in the future) I really want to encourage you to attend as many conferences, field days, meetings, or other gatherings of farmers that you can. It's opportunities like those where you can really learn and be encouraged. I know I need it as often as I can get it!

3 comments:

sugarcreekfarm said...

The INCA conference is worth attending for the potluck alone :)

farm mama said...

I haven't commented for awhile, but wanted to tell you about a service I found here in Charleston, SC a few days ago. It is Kitchen Table Cuisine, and they have put together a network of local and/or organic sources for a wide variety of food products, and they deliver them to your home or office.

When I first became convicted of the benefits of buying local, the hardest thing was finding local sources. This is a way to bring them all together very naturally. I am sure if you Google the name, it will take you to their website.

Donna OShaughnessy said...

In Illinois we have agroup called the Stewards of the Land which we belong to. An amazing group of local farmers who work together to raise produce and meat and other products , we can be proud of. We sell as a group to several Chicago restaurants.
Check them out http://www.thestewardsoftheland.com/

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...