Monday, February 28, 2011

"The Accidental Farmers" :: Chapter 1 Book Report

When I heard that Tim Young of Nature's Harmony Farm was writing a book I knew with out a doubt that it would be reading it and I was fairly certain that I would enjoy it. I was able to be pretty confident of those two points because I have been following along with his farm since the beginning and I've enjoyed and appreciated his blog posts, e-mails, and podcasts. So, now that I have my hands on a copy I'm beginning to make my way through the book. The first section of the book deals with the "Birth of a Farm" ... their farm specifically ... while the second section is more about their values, methods, and farm in general. If your interested in a copy of the book for yourself be sure to click through to Amazon.com from the picture to the right.

Chapter one of "The Accidental Farmers" deals with the awaking that Tim and Liz Young had that eventually (and by eventually I mean fairly quickly) to the farm. The Young's were living the typical "American Dream" life in suburban America when a trip to the country changed their outlook on life and on their values and goals ... at least that is what I'm taking away from this first chapter. I really appreciate the honesty and picture that Mr. Young paints in this chapter as he shows how they made the decision to transition to the farm.

I think it is a good reminder to follow our passions and look for ways to make them happen. Thanks to a few suggestions on one of my previous blog posts I'm also reading 48 Days to the Work You Love: Preparing for the New Normal by Dan Miller and I appreciate the idea of making your work your passion. If nothing else this first chapter may give you some encouragement to to form your values and think outside of the box.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...