Monday, July 27, 2009

Farm Updates...

You may have noticed that I haven't posted the past couple of days like I usually would. Things have been busy on the farm as I've been pushing to get some projects finished up so I can move onto the next thing. I thought it would be good to just share a few quick updates today while I'm at work...
  • The fence is really coming along and I'm hoping to have the perimeter wrapped up tonight after picking up some supplies in town. All I have to do yet is bury a wire underground and then put on some jumpers. With that we will have electric fence all the way around! Some of the finishing touches will have to wait until a couple other projects are done, but the most important stuff is done.
  • If you are scoring at home we have had four calves this year. One dun bull calf, one dun heifer, and two black heifers. Seventy-five percent heifers ... I guess I'll take that! I will admit that in the evenings I often get side tracked watching the calves run around kick up their heels.
  • Our pigs are growing. In fact we have five butcher hogs ready to go and I'm thinking they are going to be pretty tasty because of the Berkshire in them. The only problem we are facing right now is that the processor we used last time is booked up because of fairs until late August. We are looking for another option now, but if you are interested in a half or a whole just let me know.
  • As I have mentioned previously the shed is up and it is now ready for steel to be thrown up on the sides. I'm hoping to get the project knocked off the list in the next couple of weeks, but we have to do a little planning first. Hopefully it won't be an overwhelming job, but if I have learned anything out here on the farm I have learned that nothing ever goes as planned.
  • In other farm related news my wife has been canning green beans at least once a week for the last few weeks. When all is said and done we hope to have a good supply for the winter. Also, the sweet corn is coming along nicely, but it isn't quite ready yet. I can't wait for it!

4 comments:

Blessed Beyond Measure said...

Sounds like you are moving along nicely! We have our house up for sale. As soon as we get it sold then we can start on the barn/house. Kind of weird we are about 2 years behind you guys and looking to do about the same thing. And have about the same knowledge that you started out with. Doing lost of reading and picking many farmer friends brains. Any suggestions, tips.....
Enjoy reading your blog.

Donna OShaughnessy said...

Ethan, have been following your blog for some time. Your question about winter feeding prompted me to blog about our Sorghum Sudan Grass sileage making. Check it out at midlifefarmwife/blogspot.com and have a great day.

Steven said...

Are you guys okay Ethan?
It's odd to not hear from you for so long. I'm more quiet than I used to be, but still reading.
Steven

Unknown said...

Ethan, I've really enjoying your blog. I'm just getting started too. Been wanting to farm since I was a kid and am now going to do it. Right now I have 2 cows on leased land. They will both have calves in March. If they are heifers, I'll build my herd; if they are bulls I'll sell them for grass-fed beef. That's how I'm getting my start. But my goal is to get a place of my own and sell beef, pork and chicken. Again, I'm enjoying your blog.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...