Friday, May 09, 2008

In Honor of Mothers

With Mother's Day right around the corner (don't forget) I thought it was fitting to give them their due. Especially after I found this article from FoxNews.com titled, "Study: Stay-at-Home Mom Worth Nearly $117,000 a Year". What they did was look at the various jobs that moms do at home and took those average salaries into consideration. Some of the jobs that were included were housekeeper, day care teacher, van driver, psychologist, chief executive officer, and more. Those stay-at-home moms do all that and more (Mom's who work away from home were worth $68,405, plus their other job's salary).

The article said that a big portion of the theoretical pay comes from the large amount of overtime that moms have to work. Most mom's, according to the survey, work an average of 94.4 hours each week! But, many times they don't receive the credit for so much great and hard work.

I also think it is important to point out that the stay-at-home farm mom probably should receive a raise above and beyond the $116,805 suggested in this article. My wife does everything that is mentioned in the article, but adds in tending the garden, canning food, helping with the yard, and doing chores. If it wasn't for her help, dedication, and encouragement our journey to farming would not ever be an option.

Even though I won't be able to pay my wife as much as she is worth we do take joy in knowing how much money she is saving us. Because she stays at home we don't have to pay for child care, fancy work clothes, as much food (because of the garden and food from scratch), gas needed for going to work, and more. It is a choice and sometimes it is a difficult choice to make, but I am so glad that my wife is able to stay at home.

I love my wife so much and I pray that she can see how much our children and I appreciate all that she does for our family. So, enjoy time with your wives and mothers this weekend and let them know how much you love them and appreciate the work they do.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My Hubby and myself talked about this a while ago. It's a shame that Farms Moms don't get the credit they deserve. They're some of the hardest working Women on the Earth. Thank You!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...