Monday, May 26, 2008

Decoration Day ... Memorial Day

I am passionate about farming and all that goes with it, but I also have a deep love, respect, and passion for the history of these United States. I am thankful for the life that I am able to live here and for the life and future my children will have. Despite the our complaints or fears this nation is and was built upon a strong foundation by those who have come before us. Memorial Day (or Decoration Day as it was known earlier) is a day to remember those that have fought and died for our freedom. It began as a day to remember those who fought to keep this country united and grew to honor all those Americans who died in battle on this soil and abroad. If you would like to read more about the importance of the day check out this article from Wikipedia.

The video below is of the reading of Sullivan Ballou's letter from Ken Burns' Civil War documentary. Many have probably heard hundreds of times just as I have, but it still tugs on my heart and mind every time I hear it.

1 comment:

Art Blomquist said...

Thank God for those that went before us. May we pass on the message of freedom that they gave so much to pass on to us. May we always have a bountiful room in our hearts that they can live rent free in.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...