Saturday, April 26, 2008

Looking For Tamworth Pigs and Other Odds and Ends

This weather is absolutely killing me! Like many places across the Midwest this spring has been very wet and pretty chilly at times. I am thankful though that I live in "Southern" Iowa now because up in "Northern" Iowa they are talking below freezing at night as a possibility. That plus all of the rain just doesn't seem fair! To help put this in perspective my soccer team has played two games so far this year, tonight was supposed to be our sixth of the season ... but, it was postponed because the field was under water! We play soccer in all sorts of weather, but not under water. Also, they have been trying to do the perk test out at the farm, but the holes keep filling up with run-off water. Oh well...

So, after that rant I think it is time to get on with things. Since the readership of this blog is steadily picking up (thanks everyone!) I thought I would would try and use that for my own gain ... and money spending habit. What I'm looking for is pigs. Specifically Tamworths, Gloucester Old Spots, Ossabaw Island, Red Wattle, or any other threatened or heritage breed. We are not going to go full bore on the pigs this year, but I would like to get a small start and at least some pork for our freezer. I would really like to have some heritage breeds to start with, but a cross of a heritage breed that is breed to live outside could work also. Oh yeah, in I would help ... Southern or Central Iowa would be a plus ... Northeast Iowa is okay ... with gas prices the way they are the closer the better.

In other news, things are coming along slowly but surely with the building stuff. I have to give my wife 100% of the credit for the work getting done. Just today we put a down-payment down for our pole building and it looks like we have some of the other major contractors picked out. Next, we need to take a trip and go shopping for some appliances, flooring, and our wood burner. Also, we need to make sure our house that we are living in now is presentable for showing ... it's going on the market soon.

One last thing, I talked with my cousin for a bit today about the tractor. He fixed the brakes and a couple other minor things and we should be good to go in the next couple of days. Of course I would just get stuck if I tried to do anything now, but hopefully it will dry out soon ... but not too dry!

6 comments:

John Collis said...

Check out Homestead Hogs Group on Yahoo. You should be able to find somebody local with pigs for sale! http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/homesteadhogs/

Ernie said...

Ethan, I have a few contacts for you on the Red Wattles.

Daryl Dorsheimer Lewis, IA 712-769-2469

http://meyerbuffalofarm.com/_wsn/page13.html Elysian, MN

Of course you also have Five Ponds Farm where you bought your bull.

I have a few more contacts for Red Wattles here in Kansas but that is probably to far for you. As well as a Tamworth farm down here.

farmer693 said...

I know you have talked about the American Livestock Breeds Conservancy before. Have you checked them out for hertiage breeds. They have a very good directory of local farmers with heritage breeds. I haven't renewed my membership for a little while so I haven't seen the current directory. Good luck!

Ethan Book said...

Thanks for the great ideas everyone! I will put a post on the Homestead Hog group and try contacting the ALBC. I wish they had a list of breeders online, but maybe they can get me some information.

Ernie, thanks for those contacts ... I'll have to check into them!

Lori A said...

We're looking at buying some livestock (sheep and possibly a bull calf) from Five Ponds Farm... are you happy with your bull? Did you ever find your Tamworth pigs? We're in the same boat, looking for a heritage breed of pig, that's got a good temperment, raises well on pasture, etc.

Lori A said...

We are about to purchase some livestock from Five Ponds Farm. Were you happy with the bull your purchases? Did you find some Tamworths? We're also looking for some of those.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...