Friday, November 24, 2006

A Little Light Reading...


One of the things that I enjoy very much is reading. Whether it is a great historical novel, such as the Jack Aubrey series, or a 18th century journal I love to read it. Usually you will find a few different books or magazines in my night stand, but lately there has been a subject matter other than the normal history or Christian books ... Farming books, magazines, and articles have made their way into my reading library. With Christmas coming just around the corner I put together a list of a few of the books that I would like to tackle next. Most of them come from Joel Salatin because he has written very candidly and to the point on the subect of small scale farming, but there are a few others that look to be interesting also. So, here is my list of light reading...

Salad Bar Beef by Joel Salatin Amazon

You Can Farm by Joel Salatin Amazon

Pastured Poultry Profits by Joel Salatin Amazon

Making Your Small Farm Profitable by Ron Macher Amazon

All Flesh is Grass by Gene Logsdon Amazon

And then for a practical approach from the past...

Five Acres and Independence by Maurice Kains Amazon

Those are some of the one's that I have picked out from the research I have done. I hope to be able report back with some more information soon!

IN OTHER NEWS ::: I finally received my new boots. I had ordered a pair of Georgia Boots, but a seam on the tongue hit my ankle at the wrong angle so I had to fork out a little more cash and buy the Wolverines. All in all I am pleased with them so far and hope they will last.

6 comments:

John White said...

I seem to remember reading that Polyface has an internship program. Have you looked into doing that to get the practical training it would offer?

Ethan Book said...

Thanks for the suggestion and thanks for looking. I have seen that and looked into it a little. I am also talking with another farmer in my area about some possibilities. I think this would be the best way to get started.

Yeoman said...

No Wendell Berry?

Goodness, you really should add some Wendell Berry books here. I'm sure you'd enjoy them.

Ethan Book said...

Well, let's see ... I now have read all of those except the last on the list so I do have room for more. I have read a lot about Wendell Berry, but not read any of his books yet. Don't worry, I'll get to them soon! :)

Yeoman said...

I think you'll really enjoy Berry. If you liked Logsdon, you'll love Berry.

Our Farm said...

I am amazed. I bought your wish list to get started on this very thing! I'm an aspiring farmer as well & I'm mixing it w/ my dream of being a cowboy!!!
I also think Sir Albert Howard & JI Rodale are importnant!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...