Thursday, January 21, 2010

Farming While Sick

For the past couple of weeks I have been trying to farm and fight off a cold/strep throat thing. I have found that those two things just don't work out very well! Regardless of how I feel though there are still plenty of things that need to get done and they all involve a bit of physical labor. So, I have just taken a bit more time to feed the livestock, water everyone, split wood, and take care of all the other little chores that pop up throughout the week.

Going slow has been a blessing the past couple of days though because of all the ice on the ground. I haven't broken out my ice creepers yet, but I've been thinking that it might be a good idea to fit some on the pigs because they seem to be having the most difficult time getting around on the ice. But, they sure are fun to watch as the slowly slip around!

It is supposed to warm up just a little bit over the next few days, so hopefully we will lose the ice. Plus, I went to the doctor this morning. I'm hoping that the melting snow/ice and me getting well coincide so that things can get popping on the farm again!

6 comments:

Unknown said...

I look at every time I get sick as a time to snuggle up, slow down and spend a little warm quality time with my children and potentially a book. When else do you get the opportunity to lay in bed or on the couch?

Jean said...

Just like motherhood. Ask your wife!! You work where you absolutely have to, then no more... sick or not. Sure, when I'm sick- house is messier. Only when I must ignore my children that I'd go to doctor. Most illness eventually get over itself with some help with home remedies and over-the-counter medicines.

Hank Coran said...

I find that warm milk and a little honey help soothe a sore throat when I get one. It helps keep it from getting that "raw" feeling. Yech. I hope you feel better!

God bless,
Hank

damae said...

I had that nasty bug that was going around here a few weeks ago, when I finally remembered that my sister always tells me to take zinc. So I took zinc and it immediately started clearing up. I would also suggest after you get your chores done taking a very hot soaky bath, throw in a bottle of peroxide and some epsom salts. when you are lightly boiled, (bright red) jump under a mountain of covers and sleep it off.

Anonymous said...

http://roostershamblin.wordpress.com/ please take a few minutes to visit my blog.

Walter Jeffries said...

Sorry to hear you're feeling ill. Take time to slow down and warm up. Getting warm enough is important. Lots of hot fluids and good books.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...