Monday, August 18, 2008

Big News for Stoneyfield Farm


Well, I guess it is official ... our very own Stoneyfield Farm is somewhat newsworthy! Or at least our crazy journey towards farming without much to begin with is newsworthy... Whatever the case may be we have been blessed with a two-page spread in yesterdays Sunday Des Moines Register, and as you can see from the picture above we even made the front of their homepage. If you are interested in reading what they wrote about (after three separate visits to the farm) you can find the article HERE.

It was a long process because of the many hold-ups we have had on the farm, but it was very enjoyable and exciting to see what the picked out of many hours of chatting with us. I love the way Mr. Kilen wrote the article and I think he did a good job of portraying our farm and our journey. Hopefully it will be received well by those that read it, or at least cause them to think ... which is one thing I love to do when it comes to farming and agriculture.

Another big development for us is the new website we have (click on the image below for the link). Becca's cousin was the one that put it all together for us which was really a blessing. I knew that he knew his computer stuff, but I didn't realize he knew it so well! I think we are still in the beginning stages of the website, but it does get our farm out there for people to see. Plus, we are going to do a little bartering with him ... he does the website and helps build our house and we will give him a couple hamburgers or what ever he feels his work is worth - that is a joke :) (By the way thank you so much for all those that offered help)So, that is kind of our big news for the moment. I plan on continuing some of my reflections on how we have gotten to this point tomorrow (check back a few days if you don't know what I'm talking about) and hopefully will be able to update on some work being done inside our house!

If you are a new reader of the blog after seeing the Register article I just want to say thanks for checking it out and don't be afraid to join in the discussion!

9 comments:

sugarcreekfarm said...

Nicely done article! Isn't it great that the newspapers are picking up on the small, sustainable farm trend? The website looks great, too!

Art Blomquist said...

Congrats! Keep on Keepin on.

Steven said...

I really like the layout of the website and the article is great! I loved how the writer started at the beginning and touched on different parts of the whole journey.

Tim said...

Mmmm I like hamburgers... :)

Tim said...

Also - I love how the "Gestation Table for Cattle" is in your favorites bar on your web browser!

Katie Rose said...

Congratulations on your website! It looks professional and attractive. You might want to consider, however, adding more photos, especially in the section about your family. Your customers will want to know what you look like, what your farm looks like, and so forth.

Bert Dinkins said...

Great Job. I'll be moving to middle TN in 2 years. We are looking for land now.
Love your blog.
Bert

Anonymous said...

What you are doing is very inspirational! I am only 16 but I know that raising cattle (dairy, not beef) is what I want to do. I'm trying to graduate early and earn enough money to be able to intern at a sustainable farm. My family doesn't support me at all, but it's great to see that it can be done and you don't need college experience, to have lived on a farm, or anything like that to pursue your dreams. God Bless your efforts!

Yeoman said...

Neat! Congratulations!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...