Friday, July 11, 2008

New Book From Greg Judy

I'm not sure what happened, but as I was picking up last night I noticed that I had the July issue of "The Stockman Grassfarmer" sitting on my desk and I hadn't even leafed through it. I guess with the busyness of the house going up and work on the farm it was shuffled to the bottom of the pile. Anyways ... once I find it I started leafing through it and reading bits and pieces of the cover article by Greg Judy. At the end of the article it mentioned that Mr. Judy had come out with a new book titled, "Comeback Farms". Luckily (I believe it is published by them) there is a review of the book in this issue and it looks fairly interesting.

Mr. Judy is also the author of, "No Risk Ranching, Custom Grazing on Leased Land", (long title) and this book appears to be an extension of that book and examination of what he has learned since writing that book. Probably the most interesting topic included in the book are the sections on High Density Grazing (HDG). Mr. Judy has been a huge promoter of this and stocks his cattle at very high rates with multiple moves per day. But, not a lot has been written in books about HDG so it should be interesting to see what he has to say.

The book also looks at multi-species grazing (always a good thing), land leasing, and specific details about the fencing/water equipment that he likes to use. It sounds like it is full of useful information, but I think I should point out that the book is written (by the articles own admission) for people that are already familiar with Management Intensive Grazing. I'm not sure if/when I would tackle this book, but it does sound like it would be a pretty good read.

**As an aside, I just thought I would mention that this is the 300th post on The Beginning Farmer Blog. Thanks to everyone who takes the time to read and comment, you all have been such a great encouragement and help!**

1 comment:

Rich said...

I was looking at the link to the book and noticed a reference to what is contained in the book:

Comeback Farms contains the following:
* Multi-species grazing
* Developing parasite-resistant hair sheep flocks
* Developing grass-genetic cattle

Mob grazing hair sheep in combination with cattle is particularly interesting. Last winter, I went to look at a tractor for sale and the seller had about 160 acres that were covered with hair sheep.

After seeing the amount of sheep he was grazing on the property, the number of lambs running around, the overall good condition of the pastures, the "normal" fencing setup, and the overall size or "look" of the sheep, it was easy to see the potential in incorporating them into a multi-species grazing program.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...