Unfortunately I haven't been too concerned with the business of the farm over these past six years and I'm starting to understand that it probably has hurt my decision making along the way. It's not that I haven't been thinking of the dollars and cents, but rather that I didn't dig down deep into what those numbers were saying and how that impacted various things on the farm. All of that is changing though because I am about 1/3 of the way through my business plan workbook and I've been doing a lot of writing, answering questions, and assessing the farm, labor, enterprises, values, and marketing. My business planning isn't exactly flying, but I am finally making some steady progress and along with that progress I'm beginning to recognize a few things that have me thinking ...
My Business Plan Insights So Far ...
- There is room for growth in my markets ... especially when it comes to hogs.
- The Meat CSA and our Whole/Half Hog sales need to receive more of my focus
- I really need to hone in on our shared values for the farm and make some cut-backs in other areas.
- Pigs truly are the centerpiece of our farm ... by a large margin.
- Not every enterprise on the farm is a good idea judged purely by the numbers, but that doesn't mean they don't have an important place on the farm
Check out The Beginning Farmer Show on Facebook!
Links Mentioned in This Episode:
- Building a Sustainable Business (Online Resources)
- Building a Sustainable Business (Book available from Amazon.com)
If you do enjoy the show, don't forget that you can subscribe on iTunes and leave a five star rating and review (by clicking the link). If you are an Android phone user you can also subscribe on the free Stitcher App. It is so very encouraging to know that people are listening and enjoying the show!
I would love to hear your questions, show ideas, or comments about the show. Feel free to shoot me an e-mail! As always you can follow along with "The Beginning Farmer" and Crooked Gap Farm by checking out these links ...