Friday, December 28, 2012

Satisfaction and Taste

A while ago I was lucky enough to be on the panel of a screening for the film "American Meat". As far as food documentaries go this is one of my favorites (right up there with "King Corn") and I suggest checking out one of the screenings if you can! I follow their blog and facebook page from time to time just to keep up with where the film is showing and the response they are getting (and I'm hoping to find out when I can by a copy of the film for myself).

While scanning their facebook feed this morning I saw this quote, "Hard work is one of the most important ingredients in a meal." That really resonated with me so I followed the link to this article and video. The video features chef Dan Barber talking about the fact that seeing the food growing and the hard work put into raising those veggies and animals adds to the flavor. I don't know if I can explain why that is, but I have to say that I agree whole-heartdly!

There is just something great about enjoying a meal that you have worked so hard to prepare. On the farm we are able to have meals consisting of almost every ingredient originating from no more than 400 yards away ... those meals just plain taste great! I believe though that there is satisfaction and flavor to be found from putting the time into preparing a meal from a farmer that you know instead of from a supermarket aisle. There is just more flavor in a meal prepared by the hard and caring work of a cook with ingredients from the hard and caring work of a farmer you have a relationship with.

Sometimes that is the missing ingredient ...

1 comment:

cd0103 said...

I am registered for a screening at TCU (Fort Worth) in February. Can't wait.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...