Friday, December 21, 2012

Another Farm's Farrowing Perspective

Frequent commenter Donna O'Shaughnessy has been following along with my ramblings on winter farrowing and took the time to discuss her farms farrowing/breeding plans on a post at her blog called Midlife FarmwifeTheir farm is in Illinois and pretty much straight east of my farm, so the weather patterns will be similar to what I'm facing ... which made this information very intriguing. The post titled, "Farrowing Follies" details their farms handling of sows from breeding, gestation, farrowing, and weaning (among other details). There are also good pictures to give you an idea of their set up!

If you are interested in the e-huts that she references here are some plans from Practical Farmers of Iowa. I also like her "hogciendas"and have been thinking about building something like that. Even if I ended up with a different sort of farrowing system they would be great out in the woodlots or for sheep in the winter. Basically I just need more portable buildings that I can drag around with the tractor!

Thank you so much for putting together such a great post Donna!

1 comment:

Donna OShaughnessy said...

Ethan, I am SO late on thanking you for thanking me. We have farming for 18 years and still consider ourselves "beginning" So much we can all learn from each other.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...