Thursday, August 16, 2012

This is a Blog Post :: Not a Test


Lately it sure seems like “the beginning farmer” has become “the quitting farmer”. And although I did not quit farming, it is very much evident that I did quit writing. I spent the last week or so writing and re-writing a post explaining why I drifted away from the blog and sharing the farming experience, but after reading it over and over again I think it is just best that I say ... I quit blogging about the farm journey and now I would like to start again ... yes ... that seems much easier!

Crooked Gap Farm is rolling along much as it was last time I wrote (I think). We are still raising beef, lamb, pork, chicken, and laying hens ... and we are still selling direct to customers and friends through half/whole sales, the Downtown Des Moines Farmers Market, the Iowa Food Coop, and random deliveries and on-farm sales. The hogs are still very much still the centerpiece of the farm and are living up to their definition as “mortgage lifters” (although we’ll see how that lasts with the current drought). 

The farm is also still very much in “beginning farmer” mode and I would be lying if I said that there were plenty of things that aren’t as far along as I would like them to be. It just seems like there is always an emergency that pops up and keeps us from doing the long-term projects that we would like to be accomplishing. But, I know for a fact that is just typical farm life and nothing special. 

So, here is a post on my blog ... the first in a very, very, very long time. I’m not making any promises on when or if there will be another blog post (I did just delete a folder of blog posts I had planned on putting up last time I said I would begin blogging). But, let me just say this ... I do want to write again ... I lost my drive to write and I would like to bring it back ... to share the farm.

11 comments:

Ashley said...

I hope you do start writing again - I enjoyed all of your old posts so much that I subscribed through Google Reader. And even though it's been a long time since you last posted....I never unsubscribed!

Donna OShaughnessy said...

Good to have you back. Your insight is valuable and writing it down is good for your readers and for your family. Your children will appreciate it years from now so keep it up Ethan. I'm rooting for you!

Rich said...

It's a lot to ask, but I wonder if you could give some sort of virtual tour of the farm for those of us that have followed along from it's beginnings?

Nothing too detailed is really needed, just a show and tell sort of thing.

Scott said...

Hang in there Ethan. Life as a full time employee and a part time farmer leaves little time for luxuries like writing. But, writing does feed the soul and can also serve as a ledger of your experiences. Documenting your trials and tribulations shortly after they happen will be a better resource for you in the future, as time dulls the memory of what actually happened. As a blogging, part time farmer I can commiserate.

Daryl said...

So happy to read you! Keep on writing... I'm all eyes!

Randall Brennan said...

Welcome back. I've enjoyed living vicariously through your blog, but understand first hand that keeping up with the writing is sometimes impossible to maintain as a priority. I hope to read more from you, and understand that the posts might be more sporadic. You've got more important things to do than keeping us entertained.

Anonymous said...

I can see how you could lose your desire to write. I have only been doing my Iowa farm blog a few months and I have offten asked myself if I could keep this up for years. I hope you do find your desire again, I have learned a lot from you and you have one of the top 50 rated farm blogs. My farm is by the town of Lucas Iowa, not far from you.

Elizabeth said...

I took a year off myself from blogging. Sometimes it's hard to do and blog. Not enough hours in the day. I started again too and slowly it's building back up. Your not alone.

Ethan Book said...

Thanks for the comments everyone! As I said I'm hoping to keep the writing up on some level ... it's good for the soul. And yes Rich ... a virtual farm tour is in the works.

MrT said...

Another long time follower here who would definitely love to see a virtual tour of some sort.

Also - I'd love to hear an update on your pig feed situation. I recall from your earlier days you were looking into minimising your off-farm feed inputs...using fodder trees/crops etc as much as possible. How has this been going in practice? In reality what have you found achievable in terms of growing your own feed?

Walter Jeffries said...

Don't worry about writing. Let it come when it does. Posts don't have to be timely. Rather it should be something that is enjoyable for you to do. A relaxing thing that you do when you have the time, the inclination and the inspiration. Great cure for insomnia. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...