Saturday, February 28, 2009

Organic Farmer of the Year...

Through the Practical Farmers of Iowa ListServ I received an e-mail today that was a press release announcing that Iowa farmers Tom and Irene Frantzen were just named Organic Farmer of the Year by the Midwest Organic and Sustainable Education Service (MOSES). Of course this is of interest to me because of the Iowa connection, but it is also interesting because Mr. Frantzen is the one I wrote about a little while ago in regards to the pasture farrowing huts.

Here is a brief description of the Frantzen farm:
The Frantzens manage a diversified farm. They grow crops for animal feed on more than 300 tillable acres, and sell soybeans as a cash crop. Their farrow-to-finish hog operation produces 600 head for market with 40 brood sows. They also keep 50 beef brood cows. All slaughter animals are certified organic and marketed through Organic Prairie Meat Company.
I have had the opportunity to read a couple of things about Mr. Frantzen and his farm and it sounds like he has a pretty neat and unique thing going on (read here or here). But, one of the most exciting things in my mind is that he is doing it in my neck of the woods.

I don't know if it is too late to sign-up for this, but the Frantzen Farm will be featured in virtual "farm tour" sponsered by various organizations. You can get the informantion by taking this link, and on that .pdf brochure you can find some contact information on how to sign-up. I know that I will be watching!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

If you check out this link to organic valleys website and look thruough the archives by year you will find out a lot about the Frantzens. http://www.oviesdigs.com/making_hay/archives.html
I came across it in the paper a few years ago and my kids really liked it and I learned a few things too.

Ethan Book said...

Dale - Thanks for that link. Looks like some good stuff!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...