Thursday, December 25, 2008

The Christmas Pony

I can't really come up with anything better than this for Christmas day. I love the story and I love the way Lee Kline tells it. So, here is last years Christmas day post...

In my neck of the woods there is a "50,000 watt blow torch" of a radio station called 1040 WHO. Well, at least that is what their commercials say! You can here this station beyond the boundaries of Iowa and it carries local programming that I can only call, "pure Iowan" (and I say that with pride). One of the shows on that station that I grew up listening to is "The Big Show" which is the 90 minute farm show on from 11:30 AM until 1:00 PM and is hosted by Mark Pearson, Ken Root, and sometimes others ... but, on Friday is the real treat. On Fridays farm broadcaster emeritus, Lee Kline, makes an appearance at the end of the show to tell a story. Mr. Kline has one of those voices that just seems to sooth the soul and his stories often remind us of the days on the farm from years ago.

This past Friday he read a story by Clarence Hill who was a farmer from Minburn, IA. The story, titled "The Christmas Pony", was submitted to Farm Journal Magazine and was printed in December, 1954. It is a great Christmas story that really tugs on the heart. You must click on the title above to hear the story ... or CLICK HERE.

I wish you a very Merry Christmas.

3 comments:

Yeoman said...

Wow Ethan, thanks!

Well, having posted the question, I'll repost my answer, here's what I'd do.

First of all, I'd ask the President to abolish the Department of the Interior and merge it with Agriculture. Interior need not exist, for the most part, and it's bipolar anyway, with so many competing interest it has to satisfy. It's main purpose, whether it recognizes it or not, is agriculture, as without agriculture (ranching, silvaculture, and the like) it really isn't managing anything.

Okay, as ag sec, I'd now manage the interior too.

I'd favor individually owned farms and ranches. No big outfits. No corporations. And the producers, the meat packers and the like, would have to be more in number, and smaller, as well.

I'd put the end to the development of ag land. They're not making any more.

I'd support the end of subsidies, but I'd encourage farming, rather than the retirement of agricultural ground, as has sometimes been encouraged.

I'd require imported agricultural products to be subject to the same standards as our own. I wouldn't seek to keep foreign products out, but I would expect foreign products to be subject to our standards.

That's a starter. I'm really looking forward to the other posts here!

Rich said...

Yeoman, I think you posted your comment on a different post than you intended.

Yeoman said...

Rich, thanks, you're quite correct, I meant to post this elsewhere.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...