- How much money do I need in order to live comfortably and support my family? $15,000? $20,000? $50,000?
- How long will it take to achieve this level of income, and will I be happy when I achieve it?
- Do I want to farm part time? Full time? Start part time and grow from there?
- How much money do I already have in order to start farming, and how much do I wish to borrow?
- What skills and resources do I have? Am I good wit livestock, or can I learn to be? Am I good with machinery, or maybe carpentry - to build hog houses or poultry houses? What skills do I have that I really enjoy? What skills am I weak in or do I really dislike?
Some of these questions are pretty straight forward ... how much is in the bank account ... while others get down to what you are willing to have and sacrifice and how much you really know. But, I think they are very good foundation questions as I work my way towards farming. It is important to put things into the proper prospective and not just look at farming from the "romantic" point of view. Farming will influence every part of your life so you need to look at it from every angle.
Just some food for thought this weekend...